Looking for a New Year’s resolution that can help our planet
Try adopting one of these strategies:
- If you are a building owner, add renewable energy to your roof or grounds.
- If your utility or town offers renewable energy as a higher cost option for your electricity source (and if you can afford it), please opt-in.
- If you are in a water-stressed area, set a timer for your shower, do not rinse your plates before putting them in the dishwasher, and stop watering your grass. Plant trees that provide shade and natural cooling.
- Even if you are not in a water stressed area, replace grass with a plant that is not a water hog like grass. Plant trees for shade and air cleaning.
- Use less plastic. Recycle what you do use. Look for compost-able packaging.
- Wash your clothes in cold water.
- Reduce your trash that goes into landfills. Increase recycling and composting. This includes renovating buildings rather than tearing them down. (Renovating buildings is our specialty)
- Use public transit or your legs/wheel chair to go to where you need to go. If you don’t have a good public transit system, lobby to someone.
- Eat less meat for the planet; Eat less sugar for yourself.*
- Be kind to yourself and others. Together we can make our planet and ourselves safer, happier and healthier.
* For 2019 I made a New Year’s resolution to eat less sugar. After a few weeks of struggle, I was able to reduce my sugar intake and I felt much healthier (and thinner). For 2020, I am making a New Year’s resolution to do something for the planet. The planet’s needs feel overwhelming, but taking even a small step will make a big impact if we each just start doing something. Future generations will either thank us or curse us. It’s up to us which one it will be.
Please let me know if you resolve to do any of the above suggestion for 2020. We’ll let you know what strategies people choose “next year”.
Best wishes for a happy, healthy, & safe New Year!